Saturday, August 20, 2011

Legendary Tracks: NAS Ft. AZ – Life’s a Bitch

Let’s take this back to 1994 with a classic record by none other than Escobar and his frequent rhyming partner AZ. I bought this CD my senior year of high school because Nas's album Illmatic is known as the greatest hip-hop album ever created. Still a rookie in the game, I thought it sounded far too old-school for my naïve taste but this song immediately stuck out as an awesome track.
Great old school beat and the chorus made me fall in love immediately; it subsequently became my anthem for my senior year.

"Life's a bitch and then you die, that's why we get high, cause you never know when you're gonna go."

While your parents may tell you not to do drugs, hip-hop is all about it and makes you feel like experimentation isn't a problem at all.
This track also made me discover AZ, easily the MOST UNDERRATED rapper in the history of the rap game. Believe that. He must be good if he is the only guest rapper gracing Nas's magnum opus. He gets you captivated immediately with his first lines,

"Visualizin the realism of life and actuality, Fuck who's the baddest a person's status depends on salary, And my mentality is, money orientated, I'm destined to live the dream for all my peeps who never made it."

Don't knock the vocabulary and flow. This caused me to buy AZ’s first album Doe or Die which is also a remarkable album. An all-around great song with Nas and AZ splitting the vocals talking about living life to the fullest because "Life's a Bitch."
On another note, Nas' father plays the cornet in the background. The instrumental rides out at the end beautifully. One of my favorite songs ever created.
Legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment