Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Album Review: Game’s The R.E.D. Album Part I


I wanna start off this album review by saying “Fuck you, Jordan Sargent!”  Just so you know, Mr. Sargent is a Pitchfork writer who gave Game’s The R.E.D. Album a 4.8 out of a possible 10 (check link above).  I respect Pitchfork as a one-stop-shop for hot new music in all genre’s.  But Pitchfork please fire this man.  He listened to the album as a critic instead of as a fan; before writing the article he had low expectations and didn’t even let the greatness of this album take him away.  Instead, like a typical critic, he pointed out every little subtle problem of the album instead of respecting the skill, genius, hard work and tenacity it takes to make a great album.  Notice I said “great” – not “classic.”  After the 20+ times I listened to the album, I can say without a doubt in my mind that Game is four for four when it comes to creating amazing albums.
The album starts off with an ominous intro revealing how Jayceon Taylor was conceived in Compton by two gang-affiliated parents.  The next song, “The City” Ft. Kendrick Lamar.  The strength of the Dre intro and the ferocity of Game’s bars in this song coupled with West-coast up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar caused me to buy the album without listening to any other tracks.  It was a good decision.  In verse 2, Game spits:
“I’m from the city where two of the best died, Rest in peace to both of ‘em, spit like I’m the ghost of ‘em, Damn, I said I spit like I’m the ghost of ‘em, Name your top 10, I’m harder than the most of ‘em, Matter of fact, shorten your list nigga, top 5, Game, Biggie, Hov, prolly Pac, Nas”
Pretty controversial.  After this album, Game is still in my top 10.  But I think he’s getting a little crazy to put himself in the top 5.  Extremely debatable.  But you can’t hate on him saying he is the best because if you are an aspiring MC, you should have that mentality just like Weezy did with "Best Rapper Alive.”  Kendrick Lamar absolutely murders the chorus and his final acapella verse.  Believe me, check it out for yourself, this might be the best track on the entire CD. [5/5]
Next track is “Drug Test” which was meant as a club single.  While definitely a good track, I don’t think it will set the clubs on fire.  Dre and Game both spit their verses perfectly in tune to the beat.  Oh yeah, the Doggfather is also on the song but only spits four lines and the first two were scooped from him and Dre’s opus, “Gin and Juice.” [3/5]
Another standout from the album comes next with “Martians vs. Goblins” Ft. Tyler, the Creator and Lil Wayne (although he does not grace us with a verse).  Flawless beat created by 1500 or Nothin’.  Tyler steals the show however taking jabs at at Chris Brown and Bruno Mars like he always does.  But he also pokes fun at Game with the two lines, “Wolf Gang, we rock, crack rock and that shit was expected, Like Jayceon when he name-drop,” as Game responds immediately with a “Fuck you, Tyler. [4.5/5]
One of the first singles, “Red Nation,” just never appealed to me.  It samples the infamous nightclub hit “Kernkraft 400.”  Cool & Dre slowed down the fast-paced song greatly.  It would have been much better if they kept the tempo and Weezy and Game tried their best to speed up the flow kinda like how Biggie did with Notorious Thugs. Game, if your gonna put yourself in the Top 5, you better be able to spit at their caliber.  You didn’t show it with this one. [2.5/5]
Next comes another Dre skit talking about Jayceon’s life as a child with a positive mother role-model and a “pop’s who didn’t give a fuck” – as Dre would put it.  Followed up by another solid track – “Good Girls Gone Bad” Ft. Drake.  Drake’s verse didn’t blow me away.  Game steals the show in the first verse when he tells his father how he really feels about him.  After spitting some heartfelt bars about how his dad used to beat on his mom, and when the cops came to check out the domestic disturbance his dad would act like him mom was lying.  He then spits:
“Now my mama good, nigga she ain’t gotta deal with ya, You want some money nigga? I ain’t get a deal with ya, You ain’t saying nothing, you like a still picture, You better thank God you still breathing air.”
Real shit.  I’m still irked at how Mr. “I’m the man because I write for Pitchfork” Sargent talked so much shit on this album. [4/5]
“Ricky” comes next.  It’s a toss up between this and “The City” for dominance on the album. DJ Khalil went ape shit on the beat.  It starts with a minute long intro of “Ricky” from the movie Boys N Da Hood.  Game shows his ferociousness and hunger to silence the naysayers and haters.  And he does so over possibly the best beat on the album.  Game shows love for his city in the quick bar:
“My nostalgia is one hundred percent Compton and zero percent snitch…”
Listen to the song and you’ll realize how raw that bar is.  He goes on to talk about how he almost lost his life like the character “Ricky” in the movie when three Crips took him by surprise and shot him multiple times, putting him in a coma back in his previous gangbangin’ days. [5/5]
Alright folks, this is the end of Part I review of The R.E.D. Album.  I have work early in the morning.  Stay tuned for Parts II and II coming up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment